Economic Recovery Plan by the Numbers
WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) today released new information about how the American Economic Recovery and Reinvestment Act will benefit Wisconsin. The final bill passed the House today and is up for a vote in the Senate this evening.
“It will take time to turn this economy around, but this package is a smart balance of tax cuts, aid to states and those in need, and infrastructure investment that will create and retain jobs and help grow the economy of the future,” Rep. Kind said.
Recovery Plan by the Numbers:
- Creates or saves 70,000 jobs in Wisconsin over the next two years.
- Provides a “Making Work Pay” tax cut of up to $800 for 2.2 million Wisconsin workers and their families, designed to start paying out immediately into workers’ paychecks, as well as tax cuts for small businesses.
- Modernizes our infrastructure and creates jobs with an extra $716.4 million for infrastructure in Wisconsin, $529.1 million for roads and bridges alone.
- Modernizes schools and makes college more affordable with improved Pell Grants for the 91,532 Pell Grant recipients in Wisconsin and a higher education tax credit for 63,000 students in the state.
- Helps workers hurt by the economy, expanding unemployment and maintaining health care benefits for the 191,400 of Wisconsinites that are out of work right now.
- Saves the jobs of teachers, police officers, health care workers, and protects the vital services they provide through direct aid to the Wisconsin state government.
Note: Additional Wisconsin-specific information will be released as it becomes available.